Hold on, I'm getting ahead of myself... First off, I purchased a little set of 4inch square charm fabrics. I thought to myself, "Self, what are you going to do with these adorable, yet tiny pieces of fabric??"
So I set to work at making a little wallet/bag/wristlet thingy.I traced my driver's license to get a general size to work with and then I came up with this pattern...
Haha... sorry if that makes no sense. Here is what you will need:
- 7 inch zipper
- O Ring/D Ring
- 7 inches of decorative ribbon (Cut 5 inches, Cut 2 inches)
- 3 1/2 X 3 inch interfacing (Cut 2)
- 4 1/2 X 4 inch fabric for lining (Cut 2)
- 4 X 3 1/2 inch main fabric (Cut 2)
- 4 X 1/2 inch accent fabric (Cut 2) Round the bottom edges slightly
- First thing is first... Iron your fabric! Make sure it's all nice and pretty.
- Attach your accent fabric to your main fabric. Right sides together, simple stitches. Press the seam open.
- Fuse your interfacing to the back. Center the interfacing with seam allowances and iron. Pretty easy!
- Attach your zipper. Make sure the zipper pull is even with the outer edge of your fabric. There will be plenty of excess on the other end, though. That will be dealt with later. To sew on your zipper, you want the TOP of the zipper to be face down on the right side of your main fabric. Line the upper edge of the fabric to the edge of the zipper. Do this for both sides.
- Press your seam open.
- Get your ribbon and O Ring ready! On the side that your zipper starts (Where the pull will be when the zipper is CLOSED) assemble your ribbon with your Ring already inside. With right sides of the fabric together, put your O Ring facing what will be the OUTSIDE of the bag when it is finished. Pin the ribbon in place.
- Pin the rest of the bag together, right sides of fabric facing each other. Make sure the seams of your accent fabric line up properly. Make sure your zipper is OPEN. Sew it all together! That includes the ribbon and O Ring.
- Trim the excess zipper. Toss it, kids!
- Turn the bag right-side-out. Ohhh! So pretty!
- Get your lining together! Press the hem at the top, about 1/2 inch folded down. The raw edge of the hem will be facing out on both sides. Sew the three remaining sides to form a pocket.
- Slip the liner inside the bag. Line the top of the liner up with the stitches you made to attach the zipper. Sew all the way around. Here's what it will look like.
- Slip the 5 inches of decorative ribbon through your zipper pull and put a few stitches in it to hold it in place.
- Holy Crap! You're done! Marvel at the little bag. Oddly enough, this bag is the perfect size to hold my digital camera! Too bad I can't take a picture of that to show you XD
I hope that made sense. I appologize if it didn't... This is my first tutorial! Expect more, and PLEASE comment if you liked it!! I love feedback :)