October 6, 2009

Mmmmm... Scones!

Tea for Tuesday is back! Sorry for the brief hiatus, I'm in the middle of completely changing my life, haha. Just quit one job, another is about to be ending (seasonal) and I'll be starting two more jobs within the month of October! Plus getting ready for some flea markets and toying with the idea of some holiday craft shows... Busy girl, I am!
To help me out, I have the lovely Ann from Vintage Mommy. Ann and I both belong to the EtsyTwitter Team (her shop is Lilyolil) and when I first brought up the idea for this blog series, she messaged me right away offering up her scone recipe! Of course, I jumped for joy and said, "Please, oh, please!" and here we are today. I'll hand the mic over now!
*****
I've been drinking tea and eating scones since I was a little girl, thanks to English grandparents. I now drink coffee in the morning, but lunch and dinner are both followed by strong, hot tea. I drink only black tea, and my current favorite is Pride of the Port, from Peet's. It makes a good, strong cup with malty tones and a nice kick if you let it brew for a while.

And what is more delicious with a good cup of tea than a simple scone? The recipe below is one I've been making for ages. It's easy to make, is low-fat, not too sweet, and has a light, soft texture. Of course these are delicious warm from the oven, but they keep very well too. They're nice with jam - especially marmalade - but are lovely on their own for breakfast or a snack. 

Enjoy!

*****

Low-Fat Orange Scones
Adapted from Cooking Light

2 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1 8-oz. carton low-fat lemon yogurt
¼ cup orange juice
2 teaspoons grated orange peel
Vegetable cooking spray
1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar


Combine first 5 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender (or your fingers) until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add yogurt, orange juice and orange peel to dry ingredients, stirring just until moistened. Dough will be sticky.
With floured hands, pat dough into a 9-inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Cut dough into 8-10 wedges, cutting into but not through dough. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cinnamon sugar.
Bake at 400* for 16 minutes or until golden.


From Cooking Light Magazine, 2004

*****

Super big thanks to Ann and her kindness :) Follow her on Twitter! I do, you should too!


No comments:

Post a Comment