October 27, 2009

Craft Challenge - October

This month I've had the chance to participate in the monthly Craft Challenge over at ChristyNelson.net. Each month, my pal Christy hosts a test of your crafty ability. After signing up, you receive a package in the mail with an assortment of crafty supplies. All you gotta do is turn that mish mosh of goodies into something cute, clever, and unique.

In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness, all of the materials in this month's Challenge were various shades of pink.

An assortment of pink ribbons, a length of pale pink netting, and some yummy pink sequins arrived in my mailbox and I was HIT with an idea. The only task was to come across the key ingredient to make my vision a reality.

That part wasn't easy. You see, my secret piece wasn't to be found in Michael's or A.C. Moore. I didn't find any at my local thrift store, and I knew my Mother would kill me if I took a set from her stash.

Luck was with me, however, at a rainy flea market earlier this month. I spotted the perfect set - Plain, neutral, and nothing I would feel bad about altering.

Hair combs! I remember my Mother having a ton of these way back in the day, but I had never really seen the beauty in them until I had my Challenge supplies in front of me. I wish I had taken photos of the process, but I was in the ZONE. The basic shape of my design was decided and all of the pieces were in my possession. I plugged in my hot glue gun, fired up the sewing machine, and got to work. The real challenge came when I needed a way to incorporate at least a little bit of each item. The netting was easy, so were the sequins. Then came the mismatched ribbons. The light pink ones were easy to place, but the hot pink and rainbow ribbons were taunting me. After playing around a bit, I finally came up with a place for each ribbon.

And there you have it! Down the middle, bride style...

Or off to the side like a sugar-coated film noir madam...

I had a blast with this! Head on over to Christy's and find out how to get involved in the next Craft Challenge!! Oh... And be sure to VOTE for my hair combs when the voting begins this week ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment